FFL Landscape Assistance
Need assistance or advice in planning your
Florida-Friendly Landscape? We can Help!
Landscape Assistance Program Flyer
What we can provide
- Assistance with analyzing the growing conditions in your yard.
- Interpretation of soil/water test results.
- Assistance in selecting the right plants for your property based on discussions, photographs, and review of color pictures and homeowner provided landscape designs.
- Advice on the selection and maintenance of lawn
- A 1 & 1/2 hour office appointment to review these landscape analysis needs.
What we cannot Provide
- Landscape designs drawn to specifications.
- Specifications on the cost of plant materials.
- Specifications on an irrigation design.
- Referrals to specific landscape design, maintenance or related professionals.
What to Bring
Homeowners wishing to schedule a meeting to discuss their residential landscaping plans including:
- Understanding your property´s site conditions
- The selection of the right plants for your property (i.e. drought tolerant and native plants)
- Ideas to minimize and conserve outdoor water use
- Attracting wildlife, Protecting the Waterfront, Mulching, and much more...
Should bring in and have available any or all of the following items when they come in to meet with a Yard Advisor:
- Survey and/or site sketch of your property.
- Soil Sample (about 1 pint) which is representative of your yard. If the soil varies in different parts of your yard, then you may want more than one sample. pH and Salinity tests are ($3) each and conducted on-site each Monday.
How to take a soil sample
Soil Samples and Testing from
- Plant samples for identification.
- Location, size and identification of existing plants
- Structural features (i.e. A/C, outside water source, downspout locations, power lines, driveways, & walkways)
- Photos of your yard and plants
- Orientation of your house on the property (i.e. North, South, East, West)
- An idea of moisture and light patterns in your yard
- Wet vs. Dry and Full sun vs. Complete Shade Areas
- Existing, special needs or desired functions in your yard
i.e. water garden, BBQ area, pet area, wildlife area, shed/gardening area, walkways
By completing a homeowner survey during your meeting, you will receive:
- FFL Handbook and UF/IFAS Plant List
- FFL Pattern and Design Guide
- Individualized help in planning your Florida-Friendly Yard
- FFL Checklist