Sod Growers: Private Applicator

What Florida Statute
authorizes this license?
Chapter 487, Florida Pesticide Law
Florida Department of
Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) abbreviation for this license.
Who must have this license?

Persons who apply restricted-use pesticides to all farms including sod farms and nurseries.

What does this license allow me to do?
Licensee is authorized to:
  • Apply restricted-use pesticides to crops on these sites.

What types of pesticides can
I use with this license?
  • Restricted-use pesticides that are registered for these agricultural sites. Applicators use other pesticides on these sites as well, but this license is specifically for restricted-use pesticides.
Educational/experience requirements?
Other requirements?
Pass two exams.
  • General Standards (Core) Exam
  • Private Applicator Exam
These are proctored, closed-book, and in English only.
Where do I take the training
and the exam?

Some Extension offices offer training for these exams.

Check with Manatee County Extension Service to see when training for these exams are offered. Call Jennifer Glassburn 941-722-4524.

The Core and Private exams are offered at Manatee
County Extension Service by appointment Monday-Friday.
Call Jennifer Glassburn to make an exam appointment.
Study  manuals and materials

How many employees can work under  my supervision with this license?
15 under supervision of the Private certified pesticide applicator.
  • $0 for Core and Private Applicator tests.
  • $100 for Private license.

License renewal?
This license is valid for four years from the date it is issued.

Pay the renewal fee:
  • $100 renewal fee every four years.

Retake the exam.

The Bureau of Compliance Monitoring mails you a
notification to renew the license. It is your responsibility to
keep track of your license's renewal date and take action
to ensure that it is renewed.

Insurance requirements? Responsibility of employer.
What type of pesticide
records do I need to keep?
Suggested Record Keeping Form.  Scroll down to this form at bottom of page.
Do I need this license to use pesticides that I purchase from retail stores?
This license is obtained for the use of restricted-use
pesticides. These are only available at commercial businesses, not retail stores.
Can I apply herbicides or other pesticides to lawns? No. The only turf that this license covers is sod farms.
Can I apply "weed and feed" products? Only if they are labeled for the above listed sites.
Can I apply herbicides
to lawns to prepare
them for renovation?

No. The Private Applicator license does not authorize you
to apply restricted-use pesticides to lawns.

More questions? Contact the Bureau of Compliance Monitoring (BCM)

This is a bureau under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS)