Ornamental and Turf License

What Florida Statute
authorizes this license?
Chapter 487, Florida Pesticide Law
Florida Department of
Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) abbreviation for this license.
PB (Public) or CM (Commercial)
Who must have this license?

Persons who apply restricted-use pesticides to golf courses, parks and cemeteries.

certification is for applicators who
work for federal, state, county or municipal agencies.

certification is for applicators who contract their services in these same areas.

What does this license allow me to do?
Licensee is authorized to:
  • Apply restricted-use pesticides to golf courses, parks and cemeteries.

What types of pesticides can
I use with this license?
  • Restricted-use pesticides that are registered for golf courses, parks and cemeteries.  Applicators use other pesticides on  these sites as well, but this license is specifically for restricted-use pesticides.
Educational/experience requirements?
Other requirements?

Pass two exams.

  • General Standards (Core) Exam
  • Ornamental and Turf Exam

These are proctored, closed-book, and in English only.

Where do I take the training
and the exam?

Some county Extension offices offer training for these exams.

Check with Manatee County Extension Service to see when training for these exams are offered. Call 941-722-4524.

The Core and Ornamental & Turf exams are offered at Manatee County Extension Service by appointment Monday-Friday. Call Veronica Riveria
 to make an exam appointment.941-722-4524.
Study  manuals and materials

How many employees can work under  my supervision with this license?
15 under supervision of the certified pesticide applicator.
  • $0 for Core and Ornamental and Turf tests.
  • $100 for Public license.
  • $250 for Commercial license.
License renewal?
This license is valid for four years from the date it is issued.

Pay the renewal fee:
  • $100 renewal fee for Public license every four years.
  • $250 renewal fee for Commercial license every four years.
  • Earn a total of 16 Continuing Education Units:
    4 Core CEUs AND
    12 Ornamental and Turf CEUs

Retake the exam.

The Bureau of Compliance Monitoring mails you a
notification to renew the license. It is your responsibility to
keep track of your license's renewal date and take action
to ensure that it is renewed.

Insurance requirements? Responsibility of employer.
What type of pesticide
records do I need to keep?
Suggested Record Keeping Form.  Scroll down to this form.
Do I need this license to use pesticides that I purchase from retail stores?
This license is obtained for the use of restricted-use
pesticides. These are only available at commercial businesses, not retail stores.
Can I apply herbicides or other pesticides to lawns? No. This license is for golf courses, parks and cemeteries.
Can I apply "weed and feed" products? Yes, if they are labeled for the above listed sites.
Can I apply herbicides
to lawns to prepare
them for renovation?

No. The Ornamental and Turf license does not authorize you to apply pesticides to lawns.

More questions? Contact the Bureau of Compliance Monitoring (BCM)

This is a bureau under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS)