Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance License

What Florida Statute
authorizes this license?
Florida Statute 482, Section 156. Structural Pest Control Act  Please read this section for details.

Florida Department of
Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) abbreviation for this license.
Who must have this license?

Commercial landscape maintenance personnel who apply pesticides to plant beds and ornamental plantings (not lawns).

What does this license allow me to do?
Licensee is authorized to:
  • Apply herbicides, fungicides or insecticides with "Caution" Signal Word in plant beds or to ornamentals to perform integrated pest management.
  • Use portable handheld 3 gal. compressed air or 5 gallon backpack sprayers (not battery operated pump up sprayers or otherwise motorized sprayers).
  • Use only pesticides that have “Caution” Signal Word on the label (not Warning or Danger).

Licensee cannot:

  • Operate pest control business.
  • Apply pesticides to turf.
  • Apply pesticides to golf courses, parks or cemeteries.
What types of pesticides can
I use with this license?
  • All landscape contractors who apply any pesticides to landscape beds and ornamentals, purchased at retail stores or commercial supply businesses.
Educational/experience requirements?
You must complete 6 classroom hours of FDACS' approved training.
Other requirements?
  • Complete a license application. Scroll down to Limited Certification for Landscape Maintenance.
  • Complete 6 classroom hours of FDACS' approved training.
  • Pass an exam. The exam is proctored, closed-book, and in English only.
  • Purchase the required insurance.
Where do I take the training
and the exam?

County Extension offices, private firms and non-
profit organizations offer this 6-hour training.

Check the FDACS' web site to see current available
training statewide. Type in Commercial Landscape Maintenance
Study  manuals and materials

How many employees can work under  my supervision with this license?
None. Each employee in your landscape company who applies pesticides must be licensed.
  • $150 for test
  • $0 for license
  • $75 annual renewal fee.
License renewal?

This license is valid for one year from the date it is issued.

  • Pay the $75 annual renewal fee.
  • Earn 4 classroom hours of approved training:
    Continued Educational Units (CEUs) 2 CEUs in Core and 2 CEUs in Limited Commercial.
  • Submit proof of insurance.

  • Retake the exam ($150) plus meet insurance requirements.
  • Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control mails you a notification to renew the license. It is your responsibility to keep track of your license's renewal date and take action to ensure that it is renewed.
Insurance requirements? Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control:
Scroll down to Bureau Certification/Examination Forms,
Application for Limited Certification for Commercial Landscape Maintenance
What type of pesticide
records do I need to keep?
You must maintain records documenting pests and areas
treated, plus methods and materials applied for controlling
pests. Records must be available for review upon request.
Do I need this license to use pesticides that I purchase from retail stores?
Yes. It does not make any difference where you purchase a pesticide with a Caution Signal Word for use on landscape beds and ornamentals. When you use it on landscapes as part of your landscape business, you need this license.
Can I apply herbicides or other pesticides to lawns? No. The licensee cannot apply any herbicides or other
pesticides to lawn areas for any reason.
Can I apply "weed and feed" products? No, these are registered with EPA because they contain herbicides. This license does not authorize the use of any
fertilizer product that contains herbicides or other types of
pesticides (such as insecticides or fungicides).
Can I apply herbicides
to lawns to prepare
them for renovation?

No. The licensee cannot apply any herbicides or other
pesticide to lawn areas for any reason.

More questions? Contact the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control (BEPC) 850-921-4177.

This is a bureau under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS)