About the Environmental Horticulture Program
We are part of the Manatee County Community Services Department.
Who We are and What We Do
The purpose of this web site is to give horticulture professionals, in business or in public service, and also community associations, unbiased and current information for maintaining Florida-Friendly landscapes. Some information is specific to Manatee County and Southwest Florida; other information, especially regarding pesticide laws, licensing and requirements, is statewide. Links to many web sites are also provided. Please share these resources with your customers and residents.
We are a community-based educational program with a full-time horticulture extension agent, a full-time office manager and a part-time pesticide license information office assistant. We have an Environmental Horticulture Extension Advisory Committee, whose members provide industry and community input for program development, content and evaluation.
We provide professional development non-credit classes to enhance knowledge and professionalism among landscape and related service providers in the following areas:
- Ornamental horticulture
- Management of landscape problems: insects, nematodes, diseases, and weeds in turf and landscape beds through Integrated Pest Management.
- Techniques to irrigate for plant health.
- Trouble shooting plant problems and diagnostic services.
- Lawn maintenance problems.
- Tree and palm selection, installation, establishment and maintenance.
Pesticide licensing, training and CEUs
- Pesticide applicator recertification (CEU)classes.
- Pesticide applicator exam prep and exams: Limited Commercial
Landscape Maintenance and Limited Certification Lawn &
Ornamental L & O. Other exams are available by appointment
(call Veronica Riveria 941-722-4524).
See Classes, CEUs and Upcoming Events
Soil and Water Tests:
- Available at Manatee County Extension Service: Soil and water pH and Total Soluble Salts.
- Available at University of Florida Extension Gainesville lab: Soil tests for pH and mineral analysis (K, Mg, P, Ca) in ppm; and well-water tests.
- See Soil and Water Tests
- Available at University of Florida Extension, Gainesville labs.
- See Diagnostic Services